Saving the earth sometimes feels like an overwhelming and unachievable task, but the truth is, if we all do our bit, collectively we can make big change.
Let’s break it into digestible, bite-sized chunks.
One positive we can take from COVID-19 and lockdown is the world had time to sit down, and while we weren't watching Netflix, think about what is most important to us. The love for absent family members who couldn't travel or elderly relatives stuck inside was understandably top of the list for most of us. But, aside from the lack of hugging, an overwhelming urge to protect our planet appeared pretty high on many lists.
If you've followed us for a while, you already know that we believe there is nothing more important than preserving our incredible planet; and if we can make you feel beautiful in the process, then all the better.
When we launched back in 2018, although plenty of fantastic equestrian brands were available on the market, we were one of the first to create a fully sustainable riding-focused range. Our founder, Danielle, worked incredibly hard to source recycled fabrics from mills and manufacturers who are Green Performing and committed to sustainability. Fast forward to 2022, and we see more and more equestrian brands showcasing recycled products, organically sourced fabrics and sustainable packaging.
We get asked a lot at trade stands if it annoys us that other brands are going in that direction after we worked so hard to create a business centred around sustainability. The truth? Absolutely not!
We are thrilled to see more brands add sustainability to their initiatives. Working as a team to banish fast fashion, recycle more ocean waste and ensure factories minimise waste will guarantee speedier change and more results. In other words, saving the planet is a big job, and we'll take all the help we can get. "Saving the planet" sometimes feels like an overwhelming and unachievable task. So our best advice is to break it down into digestible, bite-sized chunks.
In the powerful words of Anne Marie Bonneau," We don't need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly. We need millions of people doing it imperfectly".
Here are a few perfectly imperfect changes you can start making today;
1. Separate your rubbish into recyclable and non-recyclable waste (psst, make sure you find out what is and is not recyclable in your area as it does vary)
2. Ditch plastic bottles and carry a refillable water bottle with you. Upping your water intake is excellent for overall health, too, so that's a win-win.
3. Ban cotton wool pads from your bathroom and purchase a washable makeup remover pad.
4. Give unwanted clothes a second chance by selling them to someone who will cherish them on apps like Depop; you'll also get a little extra pocket money.
5. Spotted an imperfection in your fav outfit? There are lots of local places you can get rips and zips repaired, but remember, if you have a DVR item in need of some TLC, we offer complimentary repairs.
6. Be smart when purchasing new clothes, so as well as shopping more sustainably, think about building a capsule wardrobe that you can mix and match all year round. Our Tech Tops and Dexter Track-Pants are always a favourite for this.
Which of these are you already doing, and which can you start implementing going forward? Make a plan, stick to it and be part of the environmental revolution. Here at DVR, we are proud to be a small part of the change, we all need to start working with nature, not against it. We promise to continue on our mission to use conscious suppliers to create sustainable, slow-fashion pieces that make you feel beautiful while enjoying the lifestyle that means the world to you.
Thank you for shopping sustainably!